Monday, June 18, 2012

Heller's Bakery & Cafe: Mount Pleasant

Ice coffee is in season, and with it comes my quest for the best iced coffee in DC. Iced coffee is much harder to perfect than regular hot coffee. I don't know why, but no one can brew it up to my standards. One place that consistently has good, strong iced coffee is Starbucks, whether you love it or hate it. While I do enjoy Starbucks iced coffee, when you eat the same thing for dinner every night it quickly gets old and boring, and so does Starbucks's iced coffee. 


Today, I am pleased to announce that I have found a great alternative right here in the District!
Heller's Bakery & Cafe in Mount Pleasant serves delicious iced coffee. The flavor is different from Starbucks, but equally as tasty. It is as fresh as can be, partly because they grind the beans right in the store, which is the best way to eliminate a burnt flavor from making its way into your cup.


I have been wanting to try out Heller's for a while, mostly because I love muffins! And they have muffins. This Sunday morning I was craving a muffin more than ever, so I walked my way over to Heller's and picked out a nice little bran muffin. It was dry for a muffin, about the same moistness level as a scone (which I prefer), bust still the consistency of a muffin. It was perfectly sized too, not one of those monstrous muffins that have a whole day's worth of calories. It was dainty and perfectly proportioned for a breakfast treat.


The inside of Heller's is modest and therefore practically perfect in every way. It's a small town eatery in a big city. No glitz, no glam, come as you are, roll out of bed, ride your bike and have breakfast with us.


There is a small section of tables in the front when you walk in, but I got mine to go. They also serve bagels, sandwiches, cookies and cakes. It's not some place I would come to study or read, and it doesn't try to be. It is a place for locals to grab a muffin on Sunday morning and spend some quality time with their family.
  
All photos taken on iPhone. Apologies for the quality.
I tried to bedazzle them up to make them interesting to look at instead of a pixelated overexposed mess.
Sometimes I just wish my Nikon could fit into my pocket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...