Friday, March 8, 2013

PhoWheels & Vietnamese Iced Coffee

Vietnamese iced coffee is one of the most delicious drinks there is. Typically, it's made by combining a good helping of strong-brewed coffee or espresso with condensed milk. Condensed milk is very sweet and thick, and is terrible for you, but sure makes a delicious caffeinated drink. I first tried Vietnamese iced coffee at American University's Davenport Cafe, the campus-run coffee shop. They make it so well and I haven't been able to find a good one since. Until now.

(Sorry for the quality of these photos, only had my iPhone on me)

Yesterday, I went to the PhoWheels food truck for lunch. I never quite caught on to the food truck bandwagon. I have tried a few and have found them all pretty mediocre and overpriced. So yesterday, when I walked over to PhoWheels to grab lunch with a colleague I wasn't expecting much. When we got there, he recommended the tacos. I ordered one chicken and one tofu, and when I saw "Viet Iced Coffee" at the bottom of the menu, of course I had to order it.


A few minutes later, tacos and coffee in hand, we walked back to the office where I sat and ate. It was honestly one of the greatest things I have tasted in DC! Absolutely amazing. The taco shells are not taco shells at all, rather Malaysian flatbread, perfectly browned. The flavor of the sauce and spices mixed seamlessly and for the rest of the day I talked about how good it was to anyone who would listen.


Not only was the food great, but the Viet iced coffee was dynamite. Thick and sweet, it was perfectly made with a rich coffee flavor. If you've never tried Viet iced coffee, the best comparison I can think of is melted coffee ice cream poured into a cup of ice with a straw, and if that doesn't make your mouth water, then there may be something wrong with you.


Again, it is not the most healthy thing to drink... and that's an understatement. It's terrible for you and I am ashamed whenever I drink one. But once in a very long while it's definitely worth the treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...