Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ebenezers Coffeehouse: F & 2nd NE

There are a few authentically DC coffee shops that I can't believe I haven't yet reviewed. One of them is Ebenezers Coffeehouse on the corner of F and 2nd NE, right next to the Securities Exchange Commission.


Situated near Union Station, Ebenezers sits atop a piece of land that housed a diner in the early 20th Century. The diner served "butter and eggs" to travelers coming to and from the train station. The completely renovated space no longer sells butter and eggs, but it a perfect place to stop for coffee if taking an early morning train in to or out of the city. Knowing this, I can now makes sense of the iconic train and coffee pot logo:


Ebenezers is owned and operated by National Community Church and all profits go to community outreach projects.  ll the coffee is fair trade, but coffee isn't all it has to offer. Ebenezers also serves an array of milk-based drinks like "cookies and cream" or "orange cream".


They also have cookies and bananas!


I walked a little over a mile to get from my apartment to Ebenezers on a hothothot Saturday afternoon. When I got there I ordered a iced coffee to help me cool down. 


The iced coffee tasted very similar to Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee, which isn't my favorite, but many people love it. The coffee was a little weak, more of a breakfast blend taste than my preferred dark and bold. However, it was refreshing, light, and easy to enjoy on a hot summer day.


The best part of Ebenezers is all the natural lighting! Perfect for a Saturday afternoon to sit and read. It was so bright and the big windows made it feel open and airy.


If you want to sit outside, there are two lovely patios for outdoor seating. 


Conversely, if you don't want to be in so much sunshine, there is a underground space that customers are welcome to meet in and relax. The underground space is often reserved for live shows and open mike nights. Take a look at upcoming performances:


During my trip to Ebenezers I sat in this little nook. I like it! There is so much natural light streaming in, high bar stools, a bit out of the main area, and perfect to sit and gossip with a friend or to do some work on your laptop. WHICH I will be doing a lot of come Fall since I will be starting grad school two blocks away. Coffee dates!? I think so.


I 'm excited to go back to Ebenezers to try a cappuccino or latte. Since espresso naturally has a more robust flavor, I am hoping that once I taste a stronger concoction I will be able to add Ebenezers to my list of top DC coffee shops, for taste as well as location and atmosphere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...