Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Washington Post, Meet Samantha's Italian Obsession

Every Sunday, I get the Washington Post delivered right to my doorstep, brew a cup of coffee, and sit on my balcony and read away. A few Sundays ago one particular article in the travel section caught my eye. Its title, "Stirred by Italy's coffee (and it's not just the caffeine)." As a lover of all things Italian and espresso, I had to read.


I was one sentence in when pure jealousy was ignited in me. How the heck did the author, Erin Meister, get the job of traveling Italy and critiquing coffee? Come on! That's my dream! I kept reading, and while I must admit she is a better writer than I am, I felt as if I could definitely give her a run for her money coffee.

While my blog mainly focuses on D.C. coffee shops, I spent four months in Italy during college and have traveled back once since I graduated. I kept a journal each time, which I thought was pretty lame but actually turned out to be a huge help when people ask for advice on where to stay and which coffee shops to try. That being said, I am writing this post without the journals in hand so if anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at SamanthasBrewedAwakening@gmail.com.

During my time in Rome, I got to know every alley of the city and of course every coffee shop. While Erin does hit the major and most famous, she misses some key and equally influential and tasty cafes. One she does touch on I have already written a post about: Sant'Eustachio il Caffe

So in my jealousy, I decided to critique Erin’s critique and hopefully someday I will be a coffee connoisseur for the Washington Post. Volia!


And now, time for the proof. Below you will find the photos I took on my many caffeinated adventures abroad in Italy. Appropriately labeled with cafe and city (and with few other family photos thrown in!).

Espresso
Sant'Eustachio il Caffe
Rome

Baristas
Sant'Eustachio il Caffe
Rome

My FAVORITE caffeinated delight EVER! - Granita
Caffe Tazza d'Oro
Rome


I don't remember the name of the cafe, but in Naples they sell frozen, creamed, espresso.
The consistency of a perfect milkshake. Amazing.
Naples

Espresso deserts!
Ischia
(I forget the name of the place, but it's in my journal so email me if you're interested)

Seven orders of espresso
Random cart cafe
Rome


"Iced coffee" ice cream
Saint Mark's Square
Venice


The first coffee shop in Italy
Caffe Florian
Venice

Caffe Florian
Venice
Also, if you haven't voted in yesterdays poll of what is the best coffee flavored ice cream, make sure to take the ice cream survey by clicking here!


3 comments:

  1. La Martinique est une très belle destination de voyage. Les gens qui aiment les montagnes et la mer vont adorer cette île. Vous pouvez découvrir la Martinique en visitant notre site. Blog voyage martinique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for an affordable way to buy a quo boards? Sealion Boards has got you covered. Browse through our wide range of surfboards and choose the perfect one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would I sum up surfing in a single word? WOW! The finest "high" you will ever have is when surfing. This post will describe the unique emotions you will experience once you become a surfing addict. Tahoe paddle board

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...