Friday, May 20, 2011

Ring-a-ding-ding all you coffee lovers!

I woke up this morning and said, "I think I'll go to New York today," and then I did.

This is not how I intended to start off my coffee controlled blog, but it seems silly not to include the not-so-classy coffee experiences along with my sophisticated latte-licious endeavors.

I left work slightly early today to catch the Chinatown bus to New York City. I planned to leave at 4:30 PM but by the time I finished up the project I had been working on and heated up my leftover rice (appropriate meal for a trip on the Chinatown bus) it was already 4:34. So I booked it up to Chinatown, bumping into a few folks along the way - my apologies! In my hastened pace I walked right past the Chinatown Dunkin' Donuts. Which leads me to my first point:

1. Dunkin' Donuts: The Worst of the Boston Baked (well, Brewed,) Beans
Dunkin' Donuts is not my coffee shop of choice. Those of you from the Boston area may want to revoke my Massachusetts citizenship after hearing me say that, but don't worry, I moved to D.C. so it's okay. Dunkin' Donuts is a North East staple. The people of Massachusetts are very proud of it, yet I have always found both the shop and its coffee rather undesirable.
2. Dunkin' Donuts: No frills
It's not that it simply lacks the foofaraw of a Starbucks, but the flavor of Dunkin' Donuts coffee I have always found to be mediocre. It tastes the same as home brewed coffee, which can be done at home for a fraction of the cost, and that extra dollar you're spending at Dunkin' Donuts certainly isn't paying for atmosphere. Dunkin' Donuts' atmosphere is direct - it's a no crap coffee shop. You come in, get your coffee, dunk your donut, and head back outside to get on with your day.
3. Dunkin' Donuts: Bland All Around
That type of coffee shop has never satisfied me because coffee is supposed to add a little perk to your day, not simply confirm the mediocrity of your life and the mundane day-to-day endeavors of which we are expected to participate in. No. Coffee is meant to make you smile.

Due to the nature of Dunkin' Donuts -of which you are now well aware - I felt like today was a Dunkin' Donuts type of day. I needed something quick, so I could go catch my bus, no frills necessary. I quickly backtracked and ordered a small iced coffee with a tiny bit of cream, no sugar. You have to be careful to specify how much cream you want in your coffee at Dunkin' Donuts because they always overdo it.

Much to my surprise, the iced coffee hit the spot. It tasted stronger than usual for Dunkin' Donuts and there was just the right amount of ice and cream added. I bolted out of the store and boarded the bus, continuing to drink my tasty treat, but not before I did a double take allowing me to capture this gem:

I was pleasantly surprised with my coffee purchase this afternoon. It gave me the kick I needed and eased my troubles as I was running to catch a bus.

As far as the coffee is concerned, here is my overall rating:

Taste:
Though I usually find Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee extremely watered down with hardly any actual flavor, today's coffee had the perfect amount of bitterness with a spot on perfectly brewed coffee flavor. Yet it still had a slight watered down taste to it, dispute the better-than-usual flavor.
Aroma:
It was an iced coffee. Can't really smell it through the plastic. But the shop smelled more of donuts than coffee.
Price:
$2.08 including tax.
Atmosphere:
On the go. Not a sit down and chat setting.

Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...